Monday, February 25, 2008

Vulcan Mind Trap


Last evening I sat down with my wife and her family to watch a slide show of her trip to L.A. and the many pictures from the wax museum. Among the displays of mortuaresque figures was one of Star Wars. My wife, the devious woman that she is, was standing there doing Spock's vulcan V salute.

Shock and horror washed over me and my years of Star Trek: Next Generation upbringing took over, "Do you know what you are doing Lexi?". As soon as the words left my mouth I realized I had fallen into her Vulcan mind trap. She knew because I have given her the Star Trek, Star Wars lecture one to many times. Really, it is a double edged sword, or light Saber depending on your upbringing, to inform everyone that the vulcan V is for Star Trek and not Star Wars or pretend like you are a normal person, keep silent, and avoid ridicule.

As a true Sci-Fi fan you can't stand idly by and let such errors go uncorrected. As a 30-year-old man that has moved past fantasies of being Deanna Troi's Jonathen Frakes or ever creating a Holodeck to act out my cyber-noir fantasies with my red headed Beverely Crusher such old habits die hard. Everyone laughing at my seemingly uncontrolled trekie outburst I flashed back to Junior High and the day I realized that just because My family liked Star Trek didn't really make it cool.

Let this be a lesson to all no body cares about the correct pronunciation of Data, the fact that Deanna Troi is only half human, or Wesley Crusher's rank. Just keep your mouth shut and save it for the convention.

1 comment:

Lexi said...

I read it again and still got a big kick out of it. I love you.

Press Play!!